Skip to product information
1 of 7

Vigo Militaria and Collectables

WW2 German M35 Double Decal Battlefield Found Helmet with Liner and Chinstrap from the Eastern Front named to ‘Zerganae’

Regular price £215.00 GBP
Regular price Sale price £215.00 GBP
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

This battlefield found German M35 Double Decal helmet (Stahlhelm) was found in the Kurland (Courland) pocket at the positions of the German 16th or 18th Armies.

It is one of the best ground dug battlefield helmets we have seen.
its a very solid example that has some rust present, the eagle decal and the shield decal are both there, see pictures. It shows much of the original paint.
The leather liner (a little brittle but does not break off)  and metal liner ring is present, as is part of the chinstrap, also present are the chinstrap bales.
It also has the German soldiers name written in the inside of the rear of the helmet, named to ‘Zerganae’. So a great opportunity for some research as well. 

We have washed the helmet and added some Renaissance wax to preserve the helmet.

An excellent piece of German history from the Eastern front of WW2.

The Courland Pocket was an area of the Courland Peninsula where a group of Nazi German forces from the Reichskommissariat Ostland were cut off and surrounded by the Red Army for almost a year, lasting from July 1944 until May 1945.

The pocket was created during the Red Army’s Baltic Offensive, when forces of the 1st Baltic Front reached the Baltic Sea near Memel during its lesser Memel Offensive Operation phases. This action isolated the German Army Group North from the rest of the German forces, having been pushed from the south by the Red Army, standing in a front between Tukums and Libau in Latvia, with the Baltic Sea in the West, the Irbe Strait in the North and the Gulf of Riga in the East behind the Germans. Renamed Army Group Courland on 25 January, the Army Group in the Courland Pocket remained isolated until the end of the war. When they were ordered to surrender to the Soviet command on 8 May, they were in “blackout” and did not get the official order before 10 May, two days after the capitulation of Germany. It was one of the last German groups to surrender in Europe.