Skip to product information
1 of 7

Vigo Militaria and Collectables

WW2 German M40 Battle Damaged Winter Camo Grenadier Helmet found in Trévières Normandy

Regular price £195.00 GBP
Regular price Sale price £195.00 GBP
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

This German M40 Winter Camouflage Helmet (Stahlhelm) was ground dug from a machine gun emplacement in Trévières Normandy.
It is very solid and has sustained some battle damage, a round has penetrated the helmet and exited at the skirt of the helmet. 
It still has some of its winter camouflage present and part of its metal liner ring.
So what was a winter camouflage helmet doing in Normandy in June 1944? The Germans called back some of its units from the Eastern front to defend the Atlantic Wall from the Allied invasion, so its likely that the owner of this helmet did not have time to repaint the helmet, the battle of Trévières lasted from June 8th to June 10th 1944, so the damage would have occurred during that timeline.
This is a super, historical Normandy helmet, and would look great in any WW2 collection.

The Battle of Trévières 
In the spring of 1944, the village of Trévières houses the command post of Grenadier-Regiment 916 (352. Infanterie-Division) commanded by the Oberst Ernst Goth.

Early in the afternoon on June 8, 1944, the 1st and 3rd battalions of the 18th Infantry Regiment (1st Infantry Division) set up a ban against Trévières. The regiment, commanded by Colonel George Smith, Jr., was opposed to elements of Grenadier-Regiment 916. During the hours that followed, the village was heavily bombed by Allied naval artillery. In the evening, the 38th Infantry Regiment (2nd Infantry Division) commanded by Colonel Walter A. Elliot landed on Omaha Beach and, once constituted, was sent directly to Trévières.

The progression is particularly slow, slowed down by the opposing snipers. The 38th Infantry Regiment (IR) reached the northern outskirts of Trévières only at the end of the day on June 9: the enemy was firmly installed and rejected all attempts to approach. C battery of the 81st Chemical Weapons Battalion in reinforcement of the regiment gets in position and opens fire on the German defenses all around the village. Shots are also made by the 15th and 38th Field Artillery Battalions. The 2nd battalion of the 38th IR commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Jack K. Norris and attacked to the north managed to infiltrate and reach the first settlements, fighting inside Trévières during the night.

On the morning of June 10, Norris continued to exert intense pressure on the German defenders, who gradually retired outside the village. Shortly before 7 am, a new artillery fire strikes Trévières and the Americans launch the final assault at 8 am: 45 minutes later, the town is definitely under control.